ENROLLMENT TO RISE SKY HIGH, ASSERTS BENDER

Predicts College Will Have 2200 Civilians in February

"Twenty-two hundred civilian students by February--at a conservative estimate --and the largest College enrollment in history by next fall," was the prediction voiced last week by Assistant Dean Wilbur J. Bender '27, Counsellor for Veterans, in an interview with the SERVICE NEWS

A great many variables will, of course, Influence these figures and make any prediction now subject to considerable change, Bender cautioned; the biggest question-mark right now is the peacetime draft.

Spring Increase of 700

Present College enrollment includes 1450 civilians--among them 417 veterans --and 369 NROTC students. The "conservative estimate" of 2200 for the spring term will mean an increase of more than 700, almost all of whom will be returning veterans, Half of the total spring enrollment will be composed of former servicemen, says Bender, and most of these--about 800--will be former Harvard students.

The highest priorities for admission will be given to those students who left Harvard to go to war and to those who hold certificates of admission but went into service before coming here. Veterans who have not previously attended or been admitted to Harvard will have to wait their turn; and the waiting list is long and growing much longer, Bender warned.

Because of the heavy demand for admission the College's wartime policy of info-transfers-accepted will be continued for some time to come, for veterans as well as civilians. But there will be no shortage of applicants; every indication points to early increases over the prepare norm of 3500.