Mason Hammond Will Succeed W. E. Clark As Head of Kirkland

Noted Classicist to Assume Post Feb. 1

Mason Hammond '25, associate professor of Greek and Latin and of History, and tutor in the Department of Classics, has been designated master of Kirkland House, the University announced last night. The appointment, third to the post since the incorporation of Kirkland into the House system in 1931, will be effective on February 1, when Kirkland will again become an undergraduate House.

Hammond, who has been in Army since October, 1942 returned to this country last month. In service he attained the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Army Air Force Intelligence; later, assigned to the Civil affairs Service, he served as chief of the Monuments, Fine Arts, and Archives Branch of the U.S. Group, Allied Control Council. His last work was with the Allied Military Government in Sicily, Italy proper, and Germany.

Spring Goal of Seven Houses

With the appointment of Hammond and the transformation of Kirkland from the dormitory to the House plan, the University moves closer to its goal of seven undergraduate Houses for the spring term.

Prior to its use as a dormitory this fall, Kirkland, built in 1912, was introduced to the House system in 1931, The first House Master was Edward A. Whitney '17, who held the position until 1935. His successor, Walter E. Clark '03, Wales Professor of Sanskrit, who has held the post from that date, will new return to his other academic duties.

A noted classicist, Hammond is one of the few men to hold teaching positions in two departments, being in both the Classics and the History departments. Among his other distinctions are a degree summa cum laude from the College, a Rhodes Scholarship, and the degrees of B. A. and B.Litt. from Balliol College, Oxford. From 1937 to 1939 he was Professor in Charge of the School of Classical Studies, American Academy in Rome.