NAVAL AVIATION AGAIN OPEN TO CIVILIANS, A.A.F. RESERVISTS

All Undergraduates Eligible, Says War Service Adviser

Elliott Perkins '23, Director of the War Service Bureau, reminded undergraduates yesterday that the Navy has just announced the opening of enlistments for Naval Aviation, Class V-5, for those to be enrolled in the program on November 1.

Two classes of men are eligible for consideration, Perkins reports. First, civilians, who must be 17 years old at the date of enlistment. Anyone who will be 18 before November 1 may ask to be accepted for enlistment before his eighteenth birthday, and be kept on inactive duty until November 1.

The second class of eligible individuals consists of former members of the Army Air Corps Enlisted Reserve now on inactive duty. There may be some members of that Reserve now in College, Perkins continued in a memorandum to the SERVICE NEWS. Such Reservists, he said, must not reach their nineteenth birthday before November 1, and they must present a discharge from the Army before they can be enlisted in this program. If they are 18, they must be enlisted within 15 days after their discharge frm the Army.

All applicants, the memorandum continues, must have been citizens of the United States for 10 years, be unmarried, and agree to remain unmarried until commissioned or otherwise separated from the program.

They must agree to remain on active duty for four years from the date of entering pre-flight training.

Any Harvard undergraduate is educationally eligible for this program, and the only preference expressed by the Navy is for those who have had two years of high school mathematics, preferably elementary alegebra and plane geometry. A year of high school physics, and some trigonometry, will be of help.

"Physical standards are best dealt with by appearing before a Navy Medical Board," Perkins continues. "There is no use applying for this program, however, unless you have 20 /20 eyes."

Men accepted for this program will be assigned to a V-12 unit at some college on or about November 1, 1945. The length of training with the V-12 unit will be from one to three four-month terms, depending upon the individual's back-ground, and the needs of the Service. Failure to meet the standards of the V-12 unit will result in transfer to boot camp.

Those who pas will be sent to pre-flight training, being transferred at that time to the status of Aviation Cadet, Class V-5. The present schedule calls for 29 weeks of pre-flight training, 16 weeks of primary flight training, and approximately 20 weeks of intermediate flight training.

"Applicants for this program," Perkins says, "are to report at the Office of Naval Officer Procurement, 150 Causeway Street, Boston. The may go any day except Sunday, and they should arrive at 8 o'clock in the morning. Once, you have arrived at Causeway Street, the Navy will do the rest.