Informal Grid Schedule Includes Seven Games as Practice Starts

Rochester Is Surprise Opponent on Roster

Three games against other college elevens and four against service teams are on the fall football schedule announced this week by Carroll F. Getchell, acting head of the Harvard Athletic Association.

Tufts will lead the list of informal Varsity opponents on October 6, followed by the University of Rochester October 13, the U.S. Submarine Base October 20, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy October 27, the Motor Torpedo Squadron Training Center November 3, the Kings Point Merchant Marine Academy November 10, and Brown will round out the season on November 17. Except for the Brown game, which will be played at Providence, all Varsity games will be played on Soldiers Field.

For critics of the current H.A.A. policy that rules out games with Yale, Princeton, and Dartmouth, the announcement of a game with Rochester, which has never before played Harvard, proved something of a bombshell. The travel situation had been named as the cause for the ban on the Yale game, and it was pointed out by some observers that Rochester was much farther away than Yale and involved a bigger transportation problem.

But the word from the H.A.A. is that spectator travel is the real problem. Harvard-Rochester game naturally is not expected to draw anything like the crowds that would flock to an encounter between Harvard and Yale, Princeton, or Dartmouth. Two of the Varsity's opponents this fall do have official games scheduled with Yale, however, and some indication of how Harvard might fare in a clash with the Eli may be found by watching Brown and Coast Guard scores.

Practice has swung into full stride under the leadership of Coaches Henry Lamar and Floyd Stahl, who are running things until the return of veteran coach Dick Harlow. A squad of 34 men reported Monday the first day of practice, with the majority being from the Naval ROTC program. The coaches have a nucleus of experienced players to work with, which should prove quite helpful. These players include: Dave McKintosh and Rod Perkins, ends; Chet Pierce and Ted Woggan, tackles; Ellis Hodge and Mal Allen, guards; Bob MacDonald; Marvin Jenkins, Pete Harwood, and Bob Cowen, backs