Bradford Names Nine Freshmen to Class Committee

'Dormant' Union Activities--Spring Jubilee, Fall Dance--To Be Reorganized by Group

Basing his selections on the recommendations of the Yard proctors, William Bradford, secretary of the Harvard Union, yesterday made public the names of nine men who will comprise the student administrative body for this year's Freshman Class.

At the Union Committee's first meeting tomorrow evening members of the group will have to "start from scratch," according to Bradford, in "a major job of reorganizing Union activities, dormant since the beginning of the war."

Canvass Yard

Specific matters on the agenda include discussion of a proposal for a canvass of the Yard concerning suggestions regarding the establishment of new activities, and the creation of a sub-social committee to plan for a fall dance and the traditional Spring Jubilee. A chairman will also be designated at tomorrow's meeting.

Bradford pointed out that this appointed group would replace a class committee of the vintage that was popularly elected last year for the class of '49 and that its method of appointment conformed to Union Committee precedent before the war.

Change Procedure

Some departures, however, from prewar tradition can be noted. Formerly the chairman of the class Redbook and the Captain of the Freshman football team were ex-officio members.

The men chosen, representing 8 halls and 7 states are:

Frederick Bishop Chamberlin, Jr., of Concord and Holworthy Hall.

Frank Edwin Fite, Jr., of Nashville Tennessee and Hollis Hall.

Donald Eugene Halvorsen Of Flanzan, South Dakota, and Claverly Hall.

James Frederick Hornig of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and Grays Hall.

David Kahn, of New York City and Wigglesworth Hall.

Dean Pinney Phyphers, of Willoughby, Ohio, and Weld Hall.

James Gould Westboy of New York City and Thayer Hall.

Gerard Leonard Zomber of New York City and Thayer Hall.