82-Foreign Students of 32 Nations Now Registered as Undergraduates

Eighty-two foreign students, representing 32 countries and four continents all the way from Afghanistan to Sweden, are registered in the College for the present term, the Foreign Students' Office announced yesterday. Figures for the remainder of the University have not been compiled.

The expected post-war flood to Cambridge of students from Europe and South America definitely has not materialized so far, as this number represents a slight loss from last Spring's total of 83.

There may be an indication of future trends, however, in the numerical increase of students from Central, Northern, and Southeastern Europe, which saw their representation sharply curtailed by the war. Those include, besides the seven from Germany, and six from France, one student from Greece, two from Austria, two from Czechoslovakia, one from Danzig, three from Norway, and three from the Netherlands.

On a regional basis, a majority of 43 students come from Europe and Canada, 32 from Latin America, 6 from the Far East, and but I from the Near East. A breakdown by countries shows that Guatemala leads with 8 representatives, followed by Germany with 7, and by England and France with 6 apiece. No less than 13 countries are represented by one student apiece.

Missing from its usual place at the top of the list was the group from China, which this year numbers only four, instead of the normal complement of 15. Some of the slack, however, is taken in by the increase of the European delegation, and in that of students from the British West Indies to three.