O'Donnell Lost for Several Weeks As Crimson Rolls Over Tufts Team

Captain Suffers Broken Rib, Several Minor Injuries Occur In Heaviest Deluge of Touchdowns Since 61-0 Victory Over Chicago in 1939; Harlow Uses 48 Players

By Irvin M. Horowitz

People said a Harlow team just couldn't roll up a big score, but the scoreboard stop the Stadium late Saturday afternoon which read 49 to 0, in the Crimson's gaudiest touchdown parade since its 61 to 0 slaughter of a de-emphasized Chicago eleven in 1939, made them wish they hadn't spoken.

For a contest which saw the Varsity realize all the nice things the "experts" had been saying they might, in a ridiculously easy triumph over a not-too-potent Tufts eleven, the price paid in casualties was surprisingly high. Captain Cloo O'Donnell, the sparkplug of the game, suffered a broken rib after his dazzling runback of a Jumbo punt early in the first period, and the mightly mite will be out of action for several weeks. The team's doctor should rule on the approximate date of his return today.

Numerous minor bruises sustained included broken noses suffered by tackle Eddie Davis and quarterback Frank Miklos, and head injuries to tackle Mal Allen and fullback Vince Moravec. The medicos will give the word on these doubtful cases today.

The win itself was simply a case of too much Harvard and not enough Tufts. Forty-eight men saw action for the Varsity, and once the team started to move in the second half it didn't seem to matter which eleven guys were red jerseys.

So many Crimson ball-players showed promise on Saturday that singling out individual starts would be pointless. Coach Dick Harlow, in his post-game interview, was especially pleased, as were the spectators favoring his eleven, with the vast improvement in down-field blocking. On some of the sweeps which produced touchdowns in the second half, the blockers were so devastating that the ball carrier could have jaywalked his way to the end zone.

For the first half doldrums, Harlow blamed bad quarterbacking and himself--the two bad passes from center, he said, were caused by his last minute switch from formation left to formation right in the new "L" system, and the centers were slightly confused.

In the second half, Harlow restricted his outfit to a small number of basic plays, and Kenny O'Donnell, whose injured hand restricted his offensive potentialities, was calling the plays shrewdly.