Council Beaten to Draw on Parietal Rules by Masters

Variations in Checking Systems Proclaimed Only Practical Way

Acting while the Student Council committee investigating House parietal rules was still grinding into second gear, the seven University House masters were found late yesterday to have already taken steps for standardizing rules for women guests to an extent considered "as far as practicable."

This completely removed the ground from under the Council's recent accusations that "lack of uniformity in regulations from House to House encourages violations in that small, chronic group of offenders," and left the Council with a dead report on its hands.

"Since the instigation of our investigation, two weeks ago," said Harold C. Fleming '44 of the Council committee, yesterday, "many of the variances in House permission rules for women, which we sought to correct and unify, have been remedied by concerted action of the House masters."

"However," Fleming added, "we still feel that there should be some uniform system for checking feminine guests in and out of the Houses and also standard days for dining and late room permission privileges."

House masters interviewed yesterday were all agreed that "the different physical make-up of the College Houses definitely require varied plans for checking ladies in and out."

"Adams House, for instance," said John H. Finley, Jr., associate professor of Greek and Latin and Eliot House master, "has four entries. They must therefore use a card system for feminine guests, since the check-in-and-out book method, in use at such single-entry Houses as Lowell and Eliot, is impractical."

Although all Houses grant 8 o'clock room privileges on Friday and Saturday nights, the third night of late permission varies. "Ultimately," said Professor Finley, "I think it is not the Student Council but the House committee which should tell the individual House what to do."