Dartmouth Learns the Hard Way Not to Believe everything in Print

Even rougher than Friday night festivities for several thousand men of Dartmouth was the first sight of the headline in their morning "Dartmouths" as they rolled out of bed: "Seven Indian Starters Overcome by Food Poison On Eve of Game."

"Holy smoke," was the word on the lips of all loyal Indians on the morn of the first Harvard invasion of their territory in half a century. They clenched their fists in anger as they read that Cambridge pranksters had poisoned the squad's candy ration a fight from a "feminine admirer."

The fans found small solace in the front page editorial, and the message from President Dickey. Even the announcement that the fraternities were being combed for men to stem the Crimson tide brought small hope to the student body.

Advance Warning Discounted

On the afternoon before, the editors of "The Dartmouth," unused to the antics common to their more urban confreres, had been dissuaded by a group of visiting journalists from 14 Plympton Street from putting any stock in a wire they had received.

It read: "DARTMOUTH DAILY HANOVERIAN--'CRIMSON' PLANNING PUBLISH FAKE ISSUE HANOVERIAN' (sic) TO BE DISTRIBUTED IN STANDS SATURDAY NOVEMBER 9-- THE HARVARD LAMPOON."

Saturday's dawn had not yet hit the hills of Hanover when a band of intruders of unmistakable crimson hue were trying to proposition "The Dartmouth's" late-working printer. Negotiations were soon interrupted by he appearance of the paper's imperturbable business manager, who thought nothing the print shop, and proceeded to peruse "the" morning editions.

Some Catch On Slowly

Retreating to the outside, the invaders watched the innocent editor for 2b minutes before the flash of recognition spread over his countenance. "What's this old ad doing here?" he asked the printer finally. The printer told him.

Even the insurgent editors from Cambridge were amazed in mid-morning when they offered a bogus paper to some vendors of the "Dartmouth Pictorial" to attract customers. "Yeah, I heard about this," said one. The editors started to withdraw as their masterpiece did not even inspire a snicker.

Not at all amused, the vendors last audible comment was: ". . . and I bet we would have beaten them to."

A few copies of the bogus "Dartmouth" will be available at the Crimson business office today.