Freshman Basketball

By Richard A. Green

If the basketball maxim that a good man is better than a good small man is anywhere near true, the 1946-47 Crimson Freshman should come up with as potent a yearling five as has graced the hard-wood floors of the Indoor Athletic Building in many a lean year.

Modestly volunteering the information that he could start a sky-scraping array averaging better than six feet four inches, Coach Warren "Moe" Berg '44 has decided to settle for a first team which reaches a mean height somewhere in the vicinity of a mere six feet two.

Much of this vertical magnitude is lodged in Texan Pat Dalley, who reaches six feet six inches into the air and has the breadth and depth as well to hand out plenty of punishment under the basket. Having served three years in the Army before heading Cambridgeway, Dalley is the only veteran on the squad and is slated to handle the-pivot post as center.

Up in front of Dailey is a pair of six feet three inch forwards, John Rockwell and Frank Lionette. Rockwell comes by his basketball ability naturally, hailing from Indians, which is reputed to have a basket and backboard in every backyard. A domon under and around the hoop, Rock can also toss in a neat hook-shot.

Coming from Everett High Lionette plays a local brand of basketball, giving Berg the typical problem of a Freshman coach-synthesizing the various sectional styles into one. Frank boasts a wicked pivot-shot from the basket and plays heads-up defensive ball.

To handle the guards positions, Berg has nominated Dick Covey, from Ridgewood (N.J.) High School, and Dick Relifanyder, from Penn Charter, down Philadelphia way. Both boys play the steady basketball characterized by Eastern backcourt men, with Covey specializing in play-making and Reilfanyder in set-shots.

Chuck Brynteson at forward and John Althrochi at guard round out the Freshman top seven. Brynteson gained his experience at Sherewood High in Milwaukee, Wls., while Altrocchi was learning the ropes at Andover.

Berg already has his first-string five functioning as a unit in serimmages with his second and third teams, brushing up on their man-to-man defense maneuvers and working the ball around the forecourt.

This is only Berg's second year as a basketball coach; but he so impressed former Varsity Coach Floyd Stahl with his handing of the Jayvees last year that he has almost automatically taken over the reins for the Freshman squad. In his recent undergraduate days, Berg pitched for the Varsity nine.