Double Dose of Scrimmage Marks Varsity Grid Session

Crimson Given Contact Work On Offense, Defense; Farrell Again Shines for "A" Team

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Coach Dick Harlow crammed more contact work into yesterday's practice session than the Varsity has seen in any single workout since the season began. After operating in defensive scrimmage against the Freshman eleven, the Crimson ran an offensive drill for the first time this week.

It was as fruitful a day of preparation as Soldiers Field has witnessed, Harlow giving every one of his scrimmagable players an opportunity to participate in the offensive scrimmage. Dave Farrell was again with the "A" team backfield, and his passing and running were features of the workout.

Exams Cut Practice

Hour exams again cut into practice attendance, but not as badly as had been feared. Among the missing yesterday were Captain Cleo O'Donnell, Ed Davis, Pete Garland, and Vince Moravec, but the rest of the squad was on hand.

No definite changes have been announced in the Crimson lineup as yet, although it seems likely that Farrell and Bill Jackson, whose passes and running also drew Harlow's praise, will see considerable action at the tailback post, along with Cleo. Frank Miklos will spell Henry Goethals at quarterback, a spot the dark-haired senior has occupied in monopolistic style for the past two games.

Rodis in Good Shape

On the line, Davis and Howie Houston are virtually certain starters at the tackles, as are John Fiorentino at right end, Jack Fisher at center, and Ned Dewey at Emil Drvaric's right guard slot. Nick Rodis and Bob Drennan are still battling for the starting role at right guard, with Rodis contributing a good performance in yesterday's session. At left end, George Hauptfuhrer seems to have the inside track at the moment, although Walter Coulson, who suffered a leg injury last Saturday, has responded rapidly to treatment, and might conceivably see action against the Indians in Hanover this Saturday.

In the defensive session, Jim Feinberg was a standout, and will be used behind Ned Dewey. Today's workout will not include any contact work, but will feature the usual lengthy Thursday afternoon signal session working out some of Coach Harlow's more difficult plays.