Debaters Win Against Middlebury; Will Face McGill Teams Tonight

Tasting victory for the first time this season, a two-man Crimson debate squad defeated a visiting team from middlebury College last night on the proposition: "Resolved, that the Administration's present policy toward Russia is in the best interests of world peace." Tonight the Debate Council will put two more teams on the floor in a simultaneous home-and-home contest against McGill University.

Roy G. Clouse '50 and Daniel M. Pierce '49 successfully defended the negative position in the Russian question to gain a two-to-one decision in the Middlebury debate which was held in the Lowell House Junior Common Room.

Clouse Best Speaker

Clouse was unanimously named best speaker of the evening by the judging panel, which included Overton Hume Taylor, lecturer on Economics, Phillip G. Frank, lecturer on Physics and Mathematics, and Charles D. Hyson of the Economic Department.

Tonight's debate against McGill will be held at 8 o'clock in the Lowell House Junior Common Room, and will also be broadcast over the Crimson Network. James B. Field '47 and Elton McNeil '49 will argue against the proposition; "Resolved, that labor be given a direct share in the management of industry."

Simultaneously Peter H. Klein '50 and Lucian C. Parlate '50 will speak for the affirmative case in the same question against another McGill team at Montreal. They left Cambridge last night on the second Debate Council trip of the season.

Two more debates are scheduled for next week by the Council. Wednesday evening it will face a visiting team from Clark University on the National Labor Party question, and on Saturday M.I.T. will be the opponent on the Veto Power question.