Varsity Mermen Easily Overcome Grad Swimmers

Ulen Team Guins 51-15 Victory Losing One Event as Drohan Stars in High-diving Contest

Smoking, Imbibing of the pleasures barred by conventional training rules, and a year without Coach Ulen's fond tutelage proved too much for a nine-man Alumni swimming squad as they bowed Saturday night to a sleek Varsity outfit 51 to 15.

The writing was on the wall after the first event, with a medley trie of Hob Branard, Chuck Hoolzer, and Stove Wise each contributing part of a half tank final margin. In the 220-yard freestyle, Jerry Gorman of the Varsity was more than a match for last year's distance ace, Ted Norris.

Fifty yards was what the old grads could still do and look professional. Don Barker and Ernie Eusden established themselves as non has-beens in the quick, although they found themselves taking in a lot of air in order to nose out John Watkins.

Drohan Leads Divers

Making his debut as a high heard artist for the Crimson, Tommy Drohan of this year's outfit, on all but one high point drive. showed poise and confidence that piled up a winning 104.6 points.

Bill MacVicker joined the parade with a respectable 57 seconds for the 100 yard sprint, followed closely by Jerry German. John Curtin and Walt Langerine then monopolized the honors for the 100 yard freestyle.

Despite the cleanup they had turned in for the fifty the Alumni bowed in the 200-yard relay. John Watkins, Bob Snow, Bob Lange, and A1 Weatherhead notched 1:43.2 which proved good enough.