Bonney Describes NROTC Plans Navy Will Pay $600, Tuition Fees

Examination in January Offers Key to Eight Semesters Work In College, Graduate School

All College students, regardless of class, are now eligible for appointment to the Naval ROTC under its newly instituted scholarship plan, according to an announcement yesterday by Captain Carroll T. Bonney, U.S.N., professor of Naval Science and Tactics.

Successful candidates may pursue academic studies of their choosing for eight terms, including graduate work, eight at the University or any of 52 participating institutions. Under the plan, the government will assume payment for tuition, books, laboratory fees, and certain other expenditures. In addition, retainer pay will be provided at the rate of $600 a year.

Commissions Await Graduates

Required of each student will be one Naval science course each term. Uniforms will be issued for wear at drill periods and on summer cruises.

Each candidate will be commissioned in the regular Navy upon concluding his studies, and must agree to serve, with the rank of Ensign for a period of two years. While most graduates will be assigned as line officers, a limited number of billets as staff or Marine corps officers will be made available.

EArly Application Advised

Students should apply at once, Captain Bonney emphasized, as applications must be in the hands of the Naval Section, College Entrance Examination Board, Box 709, Princeton, New Jersey, by Tuesday, December 17. Detailed information and application balks may be obtained from the professor of Naval Science, 28 Divinity Place, or from Richard M. Gummere, chairman of the Committee on Admissions, in 17 University Hall.

Candidates for the Navy program must be less than 21 years of age on July 1, 1947, and must be citizens of the United States. Rigorous physical qualifications, including 20/20 vision in each eye, are essential for acceptance.

A qualifying examination, requiring no previous preparation, will be given in Cambridge and other centers throughout the nation on January 18, 1947. Over 10,000 applications have already been filed, with 700 from Massachusetts alone.

Test at High School Level

Students in the College should experience little difficulty with the examination, Captain Bonney said, as the great majority of candidates being tested will be seniors in secondary schools.