2600 Registration Now Predicted

Veteran Enrollment of 1100 Falls Short of University Hall Guesses

College enrollment will hit a post-war peak of approximately 2700 by the end of mid-year registration for students in residence, figures revised downward since Friday by the Registrar's office showed early yesterday. More than 1400 men who were in the College during the fall term are expected to tie through Mem Hall's alleys between 9 and 5 o'clock today.

Army and Navy reluctance were blamed in part for the drop in veteran's registration from the 1500 figure predicted last week to the actual total of 1100, which, together with the handful of incoming school students, made up a 1171 total for Friday, and Saturday morning, when Memorial Hall was kept open for late comers.

According to Dean Hanford, many of the men who wrote that they would be out of the services in times to register for the spring term found their plans unexpectedly altered, although more veterans are expected to arrive from day to day.

393 Yardlings

Of the new men, almost 300 will be commuters or will be living with families outside of University buildings, Dean Hanford revealed. 482 of the remaining 875 men have been placed in the Houses, with the other men--393--living in the Yard, using the dining and other facilities of the Houses.

Incoming students heard President Conant at Sanders Theatre Friday night in the first such address in several years. Paying tribute to the 20,000 Harvard men in uniform during the war, he said, "This is the day we've been waiting for, . . . tonight's meeting is a symbol not only of the return of Harvard to normal peace time functions, but one of great gratification and pride in the Harvard men who fought in the war."

Atomic Problem "Soluble"

President Conant mentioned the atomic bomb briefly in his talk, telling the audience that they knew as much about it as he did, in spite of the fact that he was himself a central figure in the work on the bomb. He termed the problem of atomic energy a soluble one, although calling it "as difficult as the human race has ever been called upon to solve."

With most of the customary meetings behind them, new and returning students will attend their first regular course meetings tomorrow and Thursday.

At 7:30 o'clock this evening Phillips Brooks-House will be host to the usual activities meeting, with representatives of undergraduate organizations explaining the functions of their groups to all interested students.