Quintet Takes 19th Victory In Chelsea Hospital Game

Gray Is High Man; Final Score 63 to 38

By Monroe S. Singer

Undaunted by superstition, Floyd Stahl's Varsity quintet came from behind to defeat the Chelsea Naval Hospital team, 63 to 38, Tuesday night for its thirteenth successive victory. By winning this last officially scheduled game, the hoopsters concluded the season with a record of nineteen victories and one defeat--by all odds the most successful year in Crimson basketball history.

For the first ten minutes, however, the outcome seemed far from assured as the Sailors swept to a first-quarter lead of 14 to 9, by virtue of a most remarkable exhibition of marksmanship from all corners of the court. But no team could hope to maintain such an average for long; the Stahlmen took over in the second quarter, and were never headed as they coasted to their third and most conclusive victory over the Chelsea squad.

A tribute to the fine defensive play by the Crimson is the fact that no Chelsea man scored more than seven points. Ex-Dartmouth star Roy McCaslin notched that total, while three of his teammates garnered six apiece. Wyndol Gray was high man for Harvard with 19 points, bringing his season total up to 288 markers in 15 games. Lou Decsi was runner-up with 13.

Yesterday afternoon the squad scrimmaged against a hastily-assembled quintet that included pre-war Varsity luminaries Hugh Hyde, "Bunks" Burditt and Mike Keene, (captain of the '44-'45 Varsity.