More Measles Feared by Bolles as Cornell Crew Wins Race Saturday

Crew coach Tom Bolles has all available fingers crossed today lost the malady which deprived the two first crews of three oarsmen yesterday turns out to be an epidemic of measles. A change in diagnosis from the German to the regular variety of the spots has already counted Varsity stroke Thorvald Ross out of the regatta on the Severn next Saturday.

When will Cochran reported a fever yesterday, his bow oar was taken over by Tom Haymond, whose number three seat was filled by Tom Morse from the Jayvees. Jim Otis and Lane Barton reported to Stillman Infirmary, while John Gormley and Ed Warren replaced them on the second boat. Bartlett substituted for Morse.

A check with Stillman last night left a measure of hope for Bolles as far as the doctors were concerned; Otis and Barton had only a cold.

About last Saturday's race on the gray and unsettled Charles Basin, Bolles said, "I can't be happy over losing a race, but the Jayvees did as well as they have done all season, and the Varsity did even a little better."

Brisk casterly winds before the race had subsided by the 5:30 o'clock starting time for the Varsity boats, but the shop left on the water kept even the winning Cornell boat under the Crimson's beat trial time with a 9:15 clocking for the 1 2/3 mile course.

Lon Cox, subbing for Rose at stroke, kept the beat low for the whole distance. Princeton held an early edge over the Crimson shell and was ahead for the first quarter mile, only to fall into third place as Cornell's eight bit off a sizeable advantage beyond the Harvard Bridge.

No one expected the Princeton crew, decisively beaten by Penn and Rutgers the week before, to come as near as it did to stealing the Crimson's three-foot lead for second place. At the same time that the Varsity's final sprint eked out its margin over the Tigers, it was narrowing the quarter-length of open water held by the Big Red at the end. M.I.T.'s last minute crab threw it more than 16 seconds behind the Harvard time of 9:22.2.

All finishing in an echelon--left with a single length separating first and last shells, the J.V. race supplied the finish-line audience on the West Boston Bridge with a dramatic close. Princeton held a low, easy stroke and the lead for the whole distance to win in 10:1.6, while the Crimson pulled a neck-and-neck contest out for a final ten-feet margin.

Bert Haines' 160s won the clearest victory of the afternoon, by cutting through choppy water for the Henley mile and five-sixteenths to take first and second places away from M.I.T. and Tabor Academy in the time of 7:68.