Varsity Crew to Leave by Plane Saturday For Special West Coast Regatta June 22

Bolles Expects Severe Test; White and King to Replace Thomas, Cochrane for Race

By Thomas M. Gallie jr.

Leaving by plane Saturday, the Varsity crew will arrive on the West Coast Sunday and continue their twice-daily workouts in preparation for the finale of the Crimson's first post-war rowing season, facing the nation's strongest crews in the University of Washington's invitation regatta June 22.

Tom Bolle's oarsmen, fresh from their June 1 victory over Yale, a race that saw three boat-lengths of Charles River water between the Crimson and Eli shells at the finish, do not as yet know exactly how many of the 11 colleges that have been invited will be able to compete next week, but will undoubtedly encounter as severe a test as they have faced this season.

Crews invited to the regatta include Columbia, Cornell, M.I.T., Navy, Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Wisconsin, all of which finished ahead of the Crimson rowers at the Annapolis regatta last month.

Yale May Row

In addition, they may face Yale, whose only competition this season has been their recent loss on the Charles, the University of California, the University of British Columbia, and, of course, their host, the University of Washington.

Slated to row the 2000 meter sprint on Lake Washington are, at present, Sylvester Gardiner at stroke, Bim Chanler, Lane Barton, Paul Knaplund, Mike Scully, Tom Perry, Lew Bohn, and Barrie White in the bow, with Sam King behind the magaphone, in that order. John Gormley and Lou Cox will also make the trip.

This is the same eight that downed Yale with the exception of Will Cochran who is being replaced behind the bow oar by White and coxswain Grant Thomas, whose berth is being filled by King.

Indifferent Season

Hampered mainly by inexperience and limited endurance, the Varsity has struggled through a little better than indifferent season so far. It is, indeed, the first Bolles-coached Harvard crew that has failed to rank as a top Eastern rowing power.

After a strong start on the Charles, in which they finished ahead of Princeton and M. I. T. although behind Cornell, the Crimson eight faltered later in the last half mile on the Severn to trail in last at Annapolis behind those three boats as well as five others.

Returning to the Charles, a poor start figured in a one length loss to the previously beaten engineers. Bolles' oarsmen then downed the untried Yale eight with ease, but are promised some stiff competition to close the season next week.

With the traditional Poughkeepsie Regatta unscheduled this year, the Lake Washington row looms as the spring's top competition. Although it was not till late in the season that this regatta was planned, a large turnout, both of spectators and contestants, is expected.