Telescope Makers to Return to Work Here
After four years active research in optics contributing to the war effort, the Amateur Telescope Makers Society of Boston is returning to the University's Observatory for its regular bi-weekly meetings. The Society, numbering more than 100 members, is resuming work on a 20-inch telescopic mirror begun in 1940.
Led by James G. Baker, associate professor of Astronomy, the society formed the Harvard Observatory Optical Shop during the war which designed several aerial cameras and special lenses for the War Department and the National Defense Research Committee.
The officers of the club are: president, Elbridge Pickard of Arlington; vice-president, Andrew Soikkeli of Quincy; treasurer, Lawrence Bjorkholtz of Newton Highlands; and secretary, Katherine Hendrie of Milton.