Winthrop Nine Wins Over Bellboys, 5 to 2

Leverett Tops Softball Teams With Unbeaten Record

Winthrop trounced Lowell 5 to 2 Wednesday in the only intra-mural baseball game played, as Bill MacAuliffe set down the Bellboys with two hits and registered twelve strikeouts, in turning in one of the outstanding mound performances of the season. His teammates put the game on ice in the third inning when they capitalized on errors to score four runs.

In the softball circuit, Leverett wound up its schedule assured of first place, with a won and lost record of 5 and 0. Under the astute management of "Swede" Cook, the Bunnies combined heavy hitting and tight infield play with good pitching to wind up an undefeated season.

Cook praised especially the potent wands of Russ Schubert, Gordy Grant, Dick Oburchay, and Bill Johnson, adding that "the Bunnies multiplied their forces in each successive game."

The winning line-up: Schubert, Cassidy, 1b; Grant, Madoff, 2b; Oburchay, 3b; Phelan, Magee, ss; Johnson, lf; Cook, cf; Melahn, rf; Thorn, c; Yarbrough, p.

Next Monday the intra-mural schedule is: baseball, Leverett vs. Lowell; softball, Dunster vs. Kirkland.