Harlow Spends Weekend Visit Here Enjoying Complete Diet of Football

Varsity Coach Views Material As Top Mentors Gather and Discuss Pigskin Prospects

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Coach Dick Harlow returned to his Pennsylvania home early this morning after a long weekend visit here, and his Cambridge stay was devoted entirely to discussing and observing his favorite pastime and vocation--not bird-egg hunting, as John Kieran likes to think, but football.

In the course of his four days around the University, the Crimson football mentor held an informal pigskin clinic with five guest coaches, and concluded his whirlwind visit by watching an informal workout at Soldier's Field yesterday afternoon at which 40 gridiron aspirants were present.

Five Coaches Guests

Harlow's guests at the clinic, which was devoted to a study of football movies and a general discussion of post-war gridiron trends, included Bob Neyland, head coach of the Tennessee Vols; Jack Harding, who directed the Miami University eleven, Orange Bowl champions last fall; and two former Harlow players--now coaches--who learned their football when Dick tutored the Western Maryland club. They were Al Sadusky, now line coach under Skip Stahley at George Washington University, and George Ekaitis, who coaches the Washington College, Md., squad.

Yesterday's workout at Soldiers Field was another of the informal sessions that assistant coach Chief Boston has been conducting throughout the summer term, primarily intended to take some of the excess GI weight from undergraduates who will figure in Harlow's plans for the fall. The Boss had an opportunity to get a brief look at some of the players he had never seen before in person.

Fall Practice Opens September 3

August is a little early to make statements to the press, so Harlow's only on-the-record remark was an expression of fatigue after four concentrated days of football talk. All of his assistant coaches--Herb Kopf, who manages the line, Bob Margarita, backfield mentor, Harry Jacunski, end coach, Al McCoy, Johnny O'Brien, who will probably handle Freshmen ends this fall, and Boston--were on hand to receive suggestions from the Varsity coach.

Practice for the fall season, which officially opens when Connecticut University pays Soldiers Field a visit on September 27, will get underway on Tuesday, September 3.