Enrollment Reaches All-Time High; 2,600 Report for Registration Today

2,582 Arrive Here Thursday; 292 Boston Area Residents Required to Commute Daily

Today's expected total of 2,600 returning undergraduates will swell College enrollment figures to over 5,200, Registrar Sargent Kennedy '28 announced last night as he anxiously reviewed plans for accommodating the largest group of students in Harvard history.

Although the College population will materialize into a community well under last spring's predicted horde of some 5,500, the first meeting of classes on Wdnesday will still find many students harried by coming worries with a respectable handful sleeping, barracks style, in the Indoor Athletic Building.

Total University population is expected to crystallize at around 12,000 with the Law and Business Schools making up the bulk of the Graduate population.

Eleven Percent Married.

Of the 2,582 registrants who passed wearily-through Memorial Hall on Thursday and Friday approximately 1,450 were Freshmen. With the eventual evaluation of war service credits many will be placed in advanced standing.

According to Kennedy's figures, veterans will comprise about three-fourths of the College enrollment. Of those, some 11 percent are married.

Every Room Converted

Reminiscent of war-time days when the entire small but studious aggregation of Harvard student was jammed into Lowell and Adams Houses, the seven College residences will boast scarcely any unconverted rooms. Under protest, 292 fall term enrollees living with 45 minutes travelling time from the Square will be commuting. In spite of these unwilling travelers and the fact that a Crimson colony has been established 32 miles from Cambridge in Fort Devens, rooming provisions are far better here than at most colleges throughout the country.

Survey Courses to Be Large

While students miles away in the University of Missouri are living in trailer camps and sleeping there deep in the gymnasium, authorities here confidently expect "shrinkage" in registration figures to ease present chaotic housing conditions to a satisfactory level. Within a matter of weeks, they predict, students temporarily bunking in the Athletic Building will be allotted dormitory space.

As a natural consequence of the prodigious enrollment, registration in many of the large survey courses is expected to reach record-braking figures.