Lamar Is Pleased With First Frosh Grid Scrimmage

Kenary Stars in Backfield as Six of Eight Passes Connect; Opener Is Set for October 12

Holding the first scrimmage of the 1946 season, Coach Henry Lamar put a part of his 102 man Freshman football squad through the paces yesterday afternoon. The 24 men who joined in the workout were all who had completed their physical examination at that time.

The numerous shifts in positions during the half-hour session were made, said Lamar, "in order to determine the most effective operating combination."

Lamar announced the two main objectives of Freshman football as: "First, to fight hard and win football games; second, to place the boys where they will be able next year to fill in the gaps left on the Varsity by graduation."

Contact Work Satisfactory

Pronouncing the first contact work as "satisfactory," Lamar said yesterday, that the most encouraging performance of the afternoon was that of Jim Kenary of Worcester; he completed six out of eight passes, and looked good handling the ball. Stocky Doug Rees also looked promising on his straight bucks from the left half slot.

In other position changes during the session, Forsyth and Almy, a pair of linemen, were shifted to ends in order to take Kenary's passes, and Lionette, all-scholastic end from Everett, was moved from end to quarterback.

The contact work yesterday, involving a hush-hush offense, marked the first move in preparation for the October 12 opener with Phillips Andover Academy.