'Undemocratic' Nominations Plan Blasted by Revisionists

Slashing at what he called an "undemocratic" system, Raymond J. Considine '48, head of the Summer Revision Committee, last night blasted at plans for the forthcoming Student Council election.

With his group meeting with Edric Weld's Constitutional Council committee now set for Monday, Considine's statement threw doubt on the chances of the joint parley for success.

Taking the nominating committee named Thursday evening by the Council as a starting point, the revisionists protested the election set-up "because the Council has arbitrarily appointed a nominating committee which will equally arbitrarily place names on the ballot."

"Why should the men this committee sees fit to name hold such an initial advantage over others who must circulate petitions and solicit signatures on their own behalf to appear on the same ballot?" the statement asked.

The revision nommittee also hit at the motives of the Council in holding the elections now, before the constitutional problem has been thrashed out. "The Student Council has stated that its primary concern during the fall term will be constitutional reform. Realizing that change must inevitably be made in the electoral procedure, the Council insists on perpetuating itself as a non-representative body."

With the nominating committee already chosen, Considine asked that plans for holding the election be temporarily shelved. "We urge that the Council, in fairness to a student body it supposedly represents, postpone the elections until this crucial constitutional problem is settled."