Survey Discloses Graduate Schools Ahead for Three-Fifths of Seniors

Graduate study lies in store for 61 percent of the present Senior Class, according to a survey by the Office of Student Placement. A miniscule four percent will go directly into teaching from college, while 25 percent are headed for the business world immediately after graduation.

The study discloses that 432 of the 988 men in Senior standing will make their careers in teaching and other professions, 303 plan ultimately to enter the business field, and the remaining 193 men, either undecided or not responding to the survey.

Business, arts and sciences, and law will be the major preoccupations of the 298 prospective alumni who plan to enroll at University graduate schools. Over 200 will do their graduate work at other institutions, with Columbia and Chicago drawing the largest representations. Only 13 Seniors have thus far made definite application for enrollment in the Medical School.

Marketing Leading Choice

Of the men who have made tentative decisions to enter the field of business, marketing, publishing, and manufacturing are the most sought-after fields. Only one-half of this group have selected their future occupations and one-third of these men have already secured definite employment.

Leading undergraduate field of concentration for these students was Economics, with Government, History, Physics, English, and Chemistry trailing in the order listed. Just three percent of the men planning advanced business study have applied for admission to graduate schools outside of the University.

Social Studies was the most popular area pursued by the Senior group, closely followed by Natural Sciences, and far in the rear was Arts, Letters, and Philosophy. The realm of Social Studies was the training ground for the majority of men planning business careers. This field shared honors with the area of Natural Sciences as the precursor of work in the field of teaching and other professions.

The poll was made to give the Placement Office an idea of what Senior plans are and to make Seniors conscious of the Office's work.