Fairbank Asks Aid to Chinese Citizens, Not To Power Politicians

United States industrial aid to China should attempt to raise that country's standard of living, not bolster the status of reactionaries and power politicians, John K. Fairbank '29, associate professor of History and former director of the U. S. Information Services in China, asserted yesterday in a broadcast over WEEI.

Appearing on the "One World" program, Fairbank said that a "doctrinaire type of thinking" tended to over-simplify the problem of revolution in China. Instead of handing out short-sighted aid, we must adept the long-term view of supporting a liberal movement that would remove the necessity for communism in China, he said.

Establishment of strong liberalism has been made difficult by the extremist policies of the communists and of the right wing of the Kuomintang, he declared, adding that General Marshall's recent report called the Kuomintang position the "chief bar", to agreement in China.

The reactionary element of the Nationalist regime readers the government "for the people, but not by the people," and, as a matter of fact, "not always for the people, either," said Fairbank.