Faculty Decision Drops War Science Majoring

Action, Effective in Semester, Establishes Physical Science As New Concentration Field

Another wartime expedient was liquidated yesterday when a meeting of Faculty of Arts and Sciences members voted to abolish the War Service Sciences field of concentration, effective next term.

To replace the War Service Sciences major, a field of concentration in Physical Sciences will be established. Administration by a Faculty committee and conformation to normal distribution requirements were specified for the new program.

Requirements for concentration demand that each students pass a total of seven approved courses selected from astronomy, chemistry, mathematics, meteorology, mineralogy, geology, applied science, and physics.

Included in the program are Mathematics A, Physics A, or B or D, Chemistry A or B, and at least three courses not regularly open to Freshmen, of which at least two must be other than military science or naval science courses.

Not more than two courses in military science or naval science may be counted among the seven courses and then only with the approval of the committee. Mathematics C may not be counted for concentration, nor may more than one of the two available half-courses in the philosophy of science (Physics 15, Physics 16) be selected.

A proposed amendment to the rule that not more than two courses regularly open to Freshmen may be used to meet concentration requirements grants the Committee on Educational Policy the authority to make exceptions in programs of concentration submitted by departments to the Committee on Educational Policy.

As an added measure, returning Harvard veterans were allowed to obtain degrees as "War Service Science majors" on the strength of in-service science credits.

Yesterday's motions to drop the program, presented by the Committee on Concentration in War Service Sciences, was recommended to the Faculty by the Committee on Educational Policy.