Wrestlers Oppose M.I.T. Today for Season's Opener

By Robert Carswell

Hampered by injuries, inexperience, and the after-effects of vacation-time frolic, Coach Chief Boston's 1947 Varsity wrestling team opens its season this afternoon against a reportedly undermanned squad from M.I.T., on the mats of the Y.M.C.A., at 48 Boylston Street in Boston. The first match is scheduled to begin at 5 o'clock.

For the Engineers, today's meet marks their return to formal post-war grappling after a lapse of four years. Weak in at least three positions, the slide-rulers have one outstanding matman in Whit Mauzy who is scheduled to fill one of the middle weights.

The loss of Neal Holt who is out for the rest of the season with a shoulder separation deprives the Crimson of their best 136-pounder and leaves the squad in an impoverished condition as far as lightweights are concerned. Late yesterday afternoon the Crimson lineup was still not definitely determined because of the difficulty of some men to make weight and the absence of others from yesterday's practice.

Opening Lineup Indefinite

The tentative starting lineup finds Schless at the 121-pound weight and Phil Busby occupying the 128-pound position. At 136 Walt Perry is the probable contender while Frank Tyng, a member of two previous Harvard wrestling teams, will fill the 145-pound slot.

Dan Ray, also a member of last year's team, will wrestle in the 155-pound class while Cassady is at 165. At the 175-pound class team-captain Don Louria, bothered by injured hands, will wrestle. Pete Fuller won a decision over Howie Houston in a challenge bout earlier in the week and will wrestle in the heavyweight class.

According team H.A.A. announcement yesterday the meet with Princeton set for next Saturday has been switched to Saturday, February 15 The Freshman meet scheduled with M.I.T. scheduled for today was called off, and the Yardlings will not open their season till Saturday against Milton.