Prospect for Lamont Construction Connoisseurs Improves, Rivets Out

Significant new details of the latest construction orders for the Lamont Library were outlined yesterday, even as a small observation post was opened for the edification of would be sidewalk superintendents who seek a birdseye view of successive stages in the erection.

Bolts--not rivets--will keep the new building in the southeast corner of the Yard from falling apart, Lawrence J. Phillips, construction chief for the University, affirmed yesterday. He explained that the bolting was decided upon in order to make construction work as quiet as possible.

Phillips asserted that, although more bolts that rivets would have to be used to hold the building together, there will be no delay and no appreciable increase in the cost of construction.

Kibitzers Compete With Surveyors

The usual red-painted steel beams are not being used in the Library, Phillips said, because the columns will be encased in cement. From the new yantage point, near the site of the old Dudley gate, the amateur supervisors will be able to watch the 30-ton crane hoisting the beams into position.

When all the first floor beams and steel columns have been hoisted into position, observers will be able to try their skill with the surveyors who plumb up the beams before they are finally bolted into position.

The amateur superintendents can even get an idea of how high the library will be when completed by looking at the 80-foot boom of the crane which, in an upright position, approximates the height of the building.