Liberal Union Votes to Join Forces With Students for Democratic Action,

Winding up a drive started last February for affiliation with Students for Democratic Action, leaders of the Harvard Liberal Union last night secured a vote of 47-5 in favor of joining SDA in "an autonomous status" demanding adherence only to the national organization's basic principles.

These fundamental maxims, hinging on an avowedly non-Communist--Party-line approach to current problems and admission solely to men "whose devotion to the principles of political liberty is unqualified," have consistently brought conceived opposition during the past attempts to effect affiliation. Last night most of those opposed abstained from voting.

Houghtcling Halls Move

Frederic D. Houghtcling '50, HLU president, haled last night's victory as a return "to the original principles of the HLU," which was founded in 1941 by men "tired of Communist Party tactic in the American Student Union." He pointed to "Capturing: of the HLU in the spring of 1946 by the local American Youth for Democracy chapter and the subsequent reversal of control last Fall. In the spring of 1947 repeated attempts to bring about affiliation with SDA were defeated.

"The membership of the HLU now formally asks the HYD to play in its own back yard." Boughtelling declared. We in SDA will go ahead mobilizing to fight reaction without the hamstringing conflict so disruptive in the past."