Squad Drills on Punts, Pass Defense

By Robert W. Morgan jr.

No contact work was the word once again on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon. It now looks as though the combined forces of past injuries, the elements, and the imminence of the season's big game will send the Crimson against Yale Saturday with the Brown competition as its last real experience under fire. The coaching saff decided that the bitter cold would be too injurious to muscles still aching from the weekend victory to permit a scrimmage.

Short of this, the squad drilled for three and a half hours in every department of the sport. Jim Kenary and Leo Flynn led a long forward passing drill, and for the second consecutive day the Freshmen ran through Yale offenses while the Varsity defended.

Punting into Dusk

After concentrating hard on pass defense, the team worked until dusk on punting under pressure. Besides Wally Flynn, who has done most of the game kicking this fall, Chuck Roche, Chip Gannon, and Gibby Warren were booting the ball.

After dark Dick Harlow moved his men under the Stadium lights for an exceptionally long signal drill. The A team backfield of the Brown game, consisting of Gannon, Kenary, Hal Moffie, and Paul Lazzaro remained intact, and it seems likely that this quartet will start against Yale.

According to the Dillon Field House medical staff, which is getting home for dinner on time again, all men will be able to play against, Yale with the possible exception of Walt Coulson.

Davis Purpie Heart

This dictum, pronouned after practice, had to be modified on the appearance in the medical sanctum of assistant coach Eddie Davis with a wounded second finger on his right hand. Davis, a giant tackle on the 1946 team and a present Business School student, revealed that the injured digit had been "caught in a mousetrap play."