Greek Anti-Royalist Leader Decries Rightist Grip on Sophoulis Regime

Dissolution of Parliament and new elections to secure a genuinely contrist "government of arbitration" spell the only way out of Greece's state of disunion, according to Emmanuel Tsouderos, leader of the Democratic Progressive Party and prime minister during the crucial Cretan stand in 1941. Tsouderos visited the University yesterday as a guest of Raphael Domes '19, professor of Philosophy.

While current premier Sophoulis "tries" to effect liberal rule, Tsouderos elaborated, "his hands are tied by an extreme rightist majority. Illustration of this lies in the dismal failure of the mildest efforts to alter the organization of the Army."

To the left of the Sophoulis Liberals but unlike the Socialists firmly shying away from the Communist guerillas, the Democratic Progressive Party strikes the mean in Greek political life, Tsouderos declared.

He believes that results of a new election would show his followers to comprise the bulk of non-extremist popular strength in Greece today.

Party Abstains

During the last elections the Tsouderos faction abstained in objection to the allegedly semi-totalitarian manner of the proceedings.

On the issue of Greek-Soviet relations Tsouderos holds that "in the light of Russia's backing of the Slavic Balkans such as Yugoslavia and Bulgaria--whose interests run counter to ours--it will require a general international agreement to bring about good neighborhood."

In the United States this fall to see his daughter, Virginia, who is a graduate student at the University of Minnesota, Tsouderos plans to sail within ten days.