Foot-Ball Team Scores Gentlemanly Win Over Visitors From Princeton

It All Happened in 1877, When Two Colleges Met for First Time us "Fair Ones' Watched

On April 28, 1877, Harvard met Princeton in a football game that was to start a long, if not always friendly, series between the two Colleges. Below is the CRIMSON'S account of that initial contest.

Notwithstanding the disagreeable weather on Saturday, a large crowd assembled to witness the Foot-Ball game. The rows of seats reserved for ladies through the courtesy of the manager of the club were filled with fair ones and their escorts.

The game was called at about 3.25 P. M., after some delay occasioned by a dispute as to the six of the ball, Harvard kicking north and Princeton south. Harvard led off with a good kick, and followed it up so well that in ten minutes Cashing, '77 got a touchdown, Seamans, however, missed the goal.

The ball was kept near the Harvard goal for most of the time; but in the last ten minutes of the first three-quarters, Princeton "braced up," and drove it up towards their goal. McCosh of Princeton made a very pretty kick that was much applauded, as was also Bullard's run; but Princeton showed want of practice in passing the ball. At the end of the first three-quarters the game stood: Harvard, one touch-down; Princeton, nothing.

Action in Midfield

After an interval of about fifteen minutes game was again called, sides having been changed. The Princeton men were evidently working hard, and the ball was kept constantly about the centre of the field.

In fifteen minutes Cashing, '79, got a touch-down from a fine kick by Seamans, and the latter, amidst many cheers, kicked the goal. Sides were again changed, and the game resumed. There was hard fighting by both teams, and some good playing. Princeton got touchdown, but missed the goal.

During the last part of the game Harvard kept the ball near their goal, but nothing more was accomplished. The score of the game was: Harvard one goal and one touch-down; Princeton, on touchdown.

(Ed Note; This typographical error in the Crimson of 1877 has persisted in HAA records for seventy years.)

Harvards Go Uninjured

Princeton called on their substitutes three times; no Harvard man was disabled, though Holmes was slightly hurt in the first part of the game.

The best long kicks were without doubt made by Princeton, but they failed in always having a man on the spot to follow up the advantage; in which latter respect Harvard was "right there."

One the Harvard team Seaman's playing was splendid; Blanchard was rugged, and always on hand; Cushing '79, was omnipresent, turning up at every instant; Holmes worked well; Herrick made some pretty, though not very effective, runs; and Winsor several good dashes. Mr. Wetherbee was much missed; and, in fact, the want of strong rushers, like Messrs. Leeds and Rollins, was much felt.

The Forward team consisted of--Rushers, Messrs. Cushing '79 (captain), Keys, Blanchard, Perry, Holmes, Houston, Cushing '77. Half-tends, Messrs. Herrick, Austin, Curtis, Winsor, Seamans. Tends, Messrs. Sheldon, Thomas, Fancen.

The Princeton team was--Rushers Messrs, E. Nichols, Van Dyke, Potter, Enos, Ballard, McNair, Wylly, Half-tends, Messrs. B. Nichols (captain), Smock, Stewart, McCalmot, McCosh. Tends, Messrs. Cutts, Dodge, Thompson.