Weekend Entertainment

Nightclubs

When the Indians from Hanover come into town they usually manage to provide a weekend's entertainment for everyone in the vicinity without resorting to anything more than a few bottles of firewater. For those who tire of defending themselves against these Dartmouth pranksters, however, there will be plenty of entertainment in town today and tomorrow.

Theaters

In the world of the theater, there are six plays currently on the Boston stage. Some, like the Tributary Theater's production of Anna Christie at New England Mutual Hall, are revivals. Some, like Finian's Rainbow and Harvey, are returning to Boston after long runs on Broadway. And others, such as Michael Todd's new production As the Girls Go, Moss Hart's Light Up the Sky, or Josephine Hull and Eddie Dowling's Minnle and Mr. Williams, are on their first trial runs here before hitting the big time.

Finian's Rainbow and Harvey should be sure bets for anyone that has missed them so far, since both shows have retained their original casts. Light Up The Sky, a satirical comedy show business, features, among others, Virginia Field, Sam Levine, and Audrey Christie, and has been well reviewed by the Boston critics.

As the Girls Go, Bobby Clark's new vehicle, puts him in the novel position of husband to the first woman president, but nevertheless the show fared badly at the hands of the reviewers. Minnie and Mr. Williams is a light bit of fancy involving a Welsh parson, his fluttery wife, and a devil named Gladys. Put Josephine Hull and Eddie Dowling in this situation and you have a pretty good idea of what it's all about.

In a slightly different line, dance humorist Iva Kitchell is currently performing at Jordan Hall. The world of the cinema offers a little of everything this weekend, with a selection from Sabu to Shakespeare playing in the vicinity. The latter is represented with two productions, Laurence Oliver's magnificent Hamlet, and Orson Welles' less successful Macbeth, playing at the Astor and Esquire respectively. Sabu gets in his licks with the return to town of his ancient classic Drums, which is billed with yet another tale of the Black Heart of Africa, Alexander Korda's Four Feathers.

For those who wish to be nostalgic in a slightly different vein, the Exeter theater has brought back Goodbye Mr. Chips, which has its last showing tonight. Loew's State and Orpheum are showing a documentary of the U. S. Navy's activities in the Antarctic, rendered glamorous by Lieutenants Robert Taylor and Van Heflin. Much of the film, incidentally, was photographed by Hugh Foster '50 while he was on duty with a Navy communications unit.

Other features of interest include a newsreel resume of the world series and another sporty movie entitled Sports Golden Age, playing at the South Station. The Old South is featuring an epic entitled Dreams That Money Can Buy, which Seymour Peck of the New York Star has described as "surrealist, Freudian, and disturbing."

You could take a chance on a new release called Apartment for Peggy, but the rest of the local fare is pretty meagre, featuring a liberal allotment of Pat O'Brien and his ilk. Of course, there's always the Old Howard

Starting with the assumption that you do not want to eat in the Houses, there are unlimited opportunities for good dining in both Boston and Cambridge. Such spots as Jim's, the Coach Grille, the Belia Vista, and the O. G. are old stand-bys for residents of the Square, but the more ambitious and opulent may care to venture in town to such famous spots as Locke Obers, Jake Wirth's the Parker House, the Union Oyster House, or Durgin Park, all of which are within easy distance of what passes for the Hub's light belt.

For those who demand more than good food, the Copley Plaza's Oval Room, the Campus Room at the Showboat, and the Fife and Drum Room in the Vendome are but a few of the lusher dine and dance spots.

Or, if you would sooner minimize the food and emphasize dancing, Leverett, Adams, and Dunster are all holding forth. One ticket is good for admission to both Leverett and Adams; but Dunster is operating independently and will require another ticket.

Then again, you could always station yourself in the Yard and watch the Yardceps fight off enthusiastic boys in Green beanies with bottles of paint.