Milk-Doughnut Tycoon Clark Is Self-Made Man

John D. Rockefeller made his pile in oil, Andrew Carnegie in steel, but William A. Clarke, III, '51, has started his race in the traditional American derby for greenbacks with a prospering business of merchandising milk and doughnuts to esurient Yardlings.

"Take chances and play it safe, get on the right side of people and knock their heads in if they get in your way, and above all get the breaks," is Clark's formula for the quickest method of raising coin enough to buy mink spats and diamond stickpins.

"This here is the best racket in the college," said Clark last night of the $25 a week Yard food-distribution company, started by room-mate Roger L. Kitfield, '51, at the beginning of the year. "Damn near runs itself."

Simplicity and success have not been characteristic of the gigantic corporation until recently, however. Too rapid expansion and ill-health, partially caused by over-work, have caused founder Kitfield not only to discontinue the sale of coffee, hot cocoa, and ham and cheese sandwiches but even to retire from college for the rest of the year. He sold out to buddy Clark.

Trailer Grill Planned Next Year

Full-scale grill business from a trailer operating around the Yard and at football games, with hamburgs, hot dogs, and all such trimmings, will greet Kitfield's return in '48, unless a $60,000 construction company in Phoenix, Arizona, pans out this year. If it does, Clark will join him in Phoenix to open a high-class night club, based primarily on the hopes that Arizona will legalize gambling.