Smoker Campaigns Begin to Pick Freshman Committee

Electioneering for the Freshman Smoker Committee will get off to a fast start today, following the announcement last night of the list of nominees from the Class of 1951.

Because of an incorrect date on the poster in the Union, late petitions can be filed at Thayer 46 until 4 o'clock tomorrow afternoon by those desirous of public office who fell prey to the faulty information.

John H. Carnahan '50, chairman of the Council Freshman Affairs Committee, said he was "hoping for a spirited campaign," but stressed the Committee's disapproval of a revival of goldfish swallowing or sound trucks in the Yard. Any extravagant plans must be cleared either through Carnahan or John Cowles, Jr. '51.

Election of eight men from the 25 nominees, whose names appear below, will take place on Monday at lunch and dinner in the Union and at lunch in Dudley Hall.

The candidates, all of whom are members of the Class of 1951, are: William C. Becker, Robert H. Brink, Jr., David C. Brisk, Jr., David A. Brockway, Charles M. Fosgate, Jr., George A. Furness, Jr., DeWitt S. Goodman, Raymond Grew, Thomas W. Grossman, Richard B. Hansen, Sherrill H. Houston, Ralph W. Judd, Edward R. Kane, Frederick A. Parker, Jr., Thomas L. Regan, Jr., Stephen O. Saxe, Louis Solomon, Alan Sweetser, Samuel C. Timmons, Robert W. Tolf, Richard A. Van Deuren, Peter Van Slingerland, Jefferson Watkins, Roland F. Wille, and Judson M. Wood, Jr.

Smokers in general are hectic. At the last one before the war Sally Rand created a near-riot with her lecture entitled, "What the Typical Stage-Door Johnny is Looking for when he Stage-Door-Johnnies a Burlesque Stage Door."