Snow, Slush, Skids, Sluggish Traffic Feature Season's First Icy Weekend

Harvard men and their women wound up the first ice-bound weekend of the year yesterday in a flurry of skids, windburn, and fresh snowflakes.

The only big accident on the police blotter this morning involved four cars which slid into each other at the corner of Plympton and Mt. Auburn Streets. The joint threw one girl into the windshield of the car she occupied, and police who sped to the scene removed her to the hospital. Her injuries were not serious, doctors said.

State police reported that the roads to Wellesley were clear for driving, as were most of the Commonwealth's main articles. It was the last weekend of the year for the Waban girls, who will start home for their long Christmas vacations Thursday.

In the Square, side streets languished under a layer of slush which kept traffic to a minimum, as the City of Cambridge concentrated its snow removal equipment on Massachusetts Avenue and the Central Square area. "God put it there and God will take it away," said Councilman Mickey Sullivan once more.

Navigation Tough

Girls who tried to navigate the sidewalk in front of the Indoor Athletic Building after Saturday's basketball game cast fearful looks at ominous puddles. One smart creature appeared in plaid slacks. The mushy street was just too much for long skirts and open-toed shoes.

Snowballs flew through Hollis Hall windows early Sunday, while more ambitions Yardlings concentrated their attention on constructing figures from tech ubiquitous material. By late afternoon, the more artistic efforts resulted in a two figure tableau on the Bannister of Matthows.

California-born Wellesleyites left for a more equatorial Yale. Ski fans left for the mountains. Quagmired car-owners left for the towing-station.

And it was snowing again last night.