Barclay Five Meets Indian Team Tonight

Sixth-Place Hanoverians Offer Challenge to Varsity Despite Poor Record, Warns Coach

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Released from the murky confines of the Ivy League celler by virtue of Saturday night's victory over Princeton, the Varsity basketball team essays another giant step in league competition tonight, meeting Dartmouth's Indians at the Boston Garden at 9:30 o'clock.

The Hanoverians, defending champions in the circuit, have shown few signs of retaining their title. Improved opposition, an early season injury to center Aud Brindley, the Big Green hero, and the vicissitudes of life have handed the Indians a current season record of six wins and ten defeats. They are currently in sixth place, a notch below the Varsity and a shade above Yale.

But Coach Bill Barclay, who has directed his disciples to three successive victories since Bill Brady was inserted into the lineup after midyears, is far from complacent about tonight's affair. Dartmouth has had a much-needed rest during the past week--it was examination time at Hanover--and the Indians are capable of much better basketball than their record would seem to indicate.

Besides Brindley, another in the series of topflight centers George Hauptfuhrer must oppose this season, the visitors' roster includes high-scoring Ed Leede, who plays alongside Paul Campbell at forward, and Captain Chip Coleman and Joe Sullivan, two competent ball-handlers, at the guards.

Barclay is standing pat on his current combination of Leo Page and Captain Saul Mariaachm at the forwards, Raupifuhrer at center, and Ready and chips at the sunrise. With Holy Cross and Colgate providing an outstanding curtain-raiser at 8 o'clock and the University band on hand, simply everyone should be at the Garden tonight

HARVARD  DARTMOUTHPage  lf  LeedeMarinechin  vf  CampbellHanpifuhlar  o  HyindleyBrady  lg  ColemanGaunan  gs  Sulliva