Alternate Debater Sparks Crimson's Win over Temple

Rebuttal Proves Decisive Factor In Initial Contest of Term As Jacob Speaks for Stuart

Substituting for a sick colleague, Edwin L. Jacob '47 turned a neck-and-neck debate with Temple University into a unanimous victory for Harvard last night by his spirited rebuttal in favor of giving labor a direct share in the management of industry.

The contest, first argument of the term for the Debate Council, was held in the Eliot House Junior Common Room.

Jacob, called in at the last moment to replace Samuel E. Stuart, 2nd, '46, who is confined at Stillman Infirmary, and Detlev F. Vagts '49 upheld the affirmative side of the topic, "Resolved, That labor should have a direct share in the management of industry." Arguing against the Crimson duo were Frank Scanlon and Alfred Mongin from the Philadelphia college.

All three of the judges admitted afterwards to being doubtful in forming a decision until after the rebuttal speech by Jacob, in which he successfully met several points which had been raised by the opposing disputants against the practicability of a direct share for labor in management. The judges included: Rendigs T. Fels '39, teaching fellow in Economics, and Charles S. Gillispie '36 and Aaron Noland '41, both teaching fellows in History. Arthur Sporn '47 moderated the debate.

The Debate Council has scheduled nine contests for the spring term, and is arranging for several others. It is also now organizing a system of inter-House events.