Boylston Contest Set for March 26; Rewards Will Be Higher Than Usual

Theodore Spencer, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, announced final plans yesterday for the Boylston Speaking Contest, which is to be revived after a wartime absence of four years.

The preliminary elimination round of the oratory tournament will be held on March 12, and the contest itself has been set for 8 o'clock on Wednesday, March 26, Professor Spencer revealed. Paine Hall of the Music Building, scene of many past Boylston competitions, has not definitely been decided on for this year's competition, he said.

There will be two prizes of $70 each, and three second awards of $40. Professor Spencer said. These sums are higher than usual, he added, because of a surplus afforded by funds unused during the war.

As usual, the Boylston Speaking Contest will be open to all upperclassmen in the College. Selections chosen by the entrants may be passages of prose or poetry from English, Greek, or Latin literature, and should be submitted to Professor Spencer for his approval on or before February 24.