Crimson Five Returns to Action Tonight, Facing B.C.--and Morgenthaler-- at Garden

Seven Foot-One Inch Eagle Center Creates Problem for Varsity; Brady to Start

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Seven feet and one inch (according to his press agent) of Elmore "the Great" Morgenthaler, and four other Boston College basketball players are all that stand between the Crimson quintet and a successful return to court conflict tonight, when the Varsity and the Eagles meet at the Boston Garden at 9:30 o'clock. Holy Cross faces Lafayette at 8 o'clock in the opening game of the double-header.

Mired in the depths of the Ivy League, Coach Bill Barclay's team makes its first appearance in two weeks faced with a unique problem: Morgenthaler. Although some authorities maintain that the New Mexico Sophomore is really only 6.11. nobody denics his scoring outbursts this season. On December 21 against Fordham, he set an all time high-scoring mark for the Boston Garden with an accumulation of 37 points.

Morgenthaler could never be mistaken for Nijinsky on a hardwood floor, but he makes baskets, and his cohorts seem to have learned the knack of how to feed him in the pivot position. Neither Barclay nor George Hauptfuhrer, who will probably play Morgenthaler if the Varsity uses a man-to-man defense, would comment yesterday on the Harvard strategy of guarding the Huge Man, but defensive maneuvers have been worked out in practice sessions.

Elmore is not the entire Boston College attack, but he helps. John Letvinchuk, a six-foot-four-inch forward, is a skillful forward, as is his co-operative, Phil Kenney. Jim Sharry and Ray Carr, both veterans of last year's B.C. five, are at the guards.

For the Varsity, Barclay has instituted one lineup change. Bill Brady, a substitute who saw limited action in previous Crimson engagements, has been moved to a first-string forward berth alongside Leo Page. Brady, according to Barclay, has shown steady improvement of late.

George Hauptfuhrer will be at center, and Captain Saul Mariaschin and Bill Henry fill the guard positions. The Varsity suffered two successive Ivy League defeats immediately before exams intervened, and tonight's game will be the first of three this week for the Crimson. Northeastern will be at the Indoor Athletic Building on Thursday night, and the team travels to Princeton for a return league game on Saturday. PROBABLE LINEUPS HARVARD  B. C. Page  lf  Kenney Brady  rf  Letvinchuk Hauptfuhrer  c  Morgenthaler Mariaschin  lg  Sharry Henry  rg  Carr

The Crimson's clash with Boston College will be the first basketball game staged between these two neighbors since 1906, and one of the larger crowds of the collegiate cage season is expected above the North Station. Frank O. Lunden, ticket manager at the H.A.A., reminded students that 5 o'clock today is the deadline for the exchange of the B.C. coupon in the student booklet for a reduced admission.