Philosophy of Laws Subject For Lectures

Professor Hocking to Speak on Contemporary, International Problems as James Lecturer

"Issues in Contemporary Philosophy of Law, with special reference to the Foundations of International Law" will be the topic of this year's series of William James Philosophy lectures, it was announced yesterday by the department.

Professor William Ernest Hocking '01, Alfred Professor of Natural Religion, Moral Philosophy and Civil Polity, Emeritus, will give the lectures, the first of which is set for Monday, February 10. The weekly series of 11 lectures will be held in Emerson D every Monday at 4 o'clock and is open to all.

This is the first time Professor Hocking has lectured at the College since his retirement in 1943. Previously, he has taught many courses, here and elsewhere and has written several books and magazine articles. For the last 15 years, his special interest has been in the field of philosophy of politics and international law.

In addition to his public lecture series, Professor Hocking will conduct a seminar in the philosophy of law, Philosophy 170.