Girls Going Green with Jealousy as Weisgal Flaunts His Tresses in Tryouts for 'St. Joan'

Twelve lovely aspirant ingenues clothed themselves in a green cloak of envy at Sanders Theatre yesterday, as Mendy Weisgal '45, 1G of the Vets' Workshop proudly strapped on medieval armor in an attempt to grant George Bernard Shaw's telegraphed desire for a masculine Saint Joan.

Visibly staggered by the weight of the iron and the responsibility G. B. S.'s jocular cable has placed on his shoulders, Weisgal smiled contentedly as he sighed, "I've fulfilled many a young lady's dreams, but this is the first time I've satisfied George Bernard Shaw."

Actresses Frustrated

Weisgal was probably unaware, however, of the growing dramatic frustration arising in the dark corners of Sanders Theatre, where female candidates for the title role cowered. As the dulcet tones began to flow from Weisgal's lips, three 'Cliffedwellers strode out of the casting hall in disgust, but the remainder decided to see their disappointment through.

Typical of the brave attitude taken by the ladies in the face of a male threat to their feminine capabilities was that of Elanie Limpert, Radcliffe '47, who swallowed her pride and announced, "Shaw probably knows what he's doing. I have great faith in the Bard."

Pert Nicky Raphaelson, Radcliffe '50, showed her espirit de corps as she declared, "Anything for Shaw. Mendy will do a superb job, but he'll have to cut bangs, I'm afraid."

Director Jerome T. Kilty '50 leaned back in his last-row seat in the auditorium, and as Shaw's ideal Saint Joan passionately pleaded with the inquisitors, he closed his eyes and said of Weisgal, "No woman has ever thrilled me so. Ahhhh!