Daily Dartmouth Fights Against Unforeseen Obstacles in Attempt to Issue Course Guide

When the Dartmouth, undergraduate daily at the Hanover college, decided two weeks ago to conduct a survey of Dartmouth courses modelled on the CRIMSON's Confidential Guide, the editors had no idea of the troubles such an innovation would cause in the New Hampshire hills.

Although the students generally indicated approval of the scheme, Lloyd K. Neidlinger, dean of the college, was not quite so sure of the propriety of such a radical measure. "Experience at other colleges has clearly indicated that such a survey as this is useless and creates ill-feeling between students and faculty members unless it is carefully managed by persons of superior judgment and questionable integrity," he wrote in a letter to the Dartmouth.

Undaunted by the dean's rebuff the Dartmouth newspaper proceeded to distribute polls at college dormitory and fraternity houses, and is currently running the results of its own survey in its news columns. Despite a general feeling among the Hanoverians that the plan is "condemned before it starts," most students hope the faculty and administration will give some consideration to the findings.

The Dartmouth survey to more ambitions than the CRIMSON's since it will cover all courses, not merely Freshman offerings.