Rejuvenated Leverett Hutch Offers Strong Inter-House Sports, Distinguished Tutors, Dances and Beer Soirees

This is the second in a series of articles on the House for Freshmen who are about to file House applications.

Dubbed "Moscow on Charles" in the pre-war days when the gamut of political ideas was more freely tossed about, Leverett House recruited much of its present membership from the first waves of ex-G.I.'s to hit the College.

In the fall of '45, freshly-discharged and newly-enrolled veterans were housed in McKinlock Hall as non-resident members of Lowell or Adams, but the House didn't regain its identity as a social institution until the reopening of Mather Hall a year ago. So now, politically speaking, Leverett is not notably conspicuous unless it is for the fact that its residents comprise almost a quarter of the membership of the Student Council.

Well-Stocked Library

Among the permanent features of the Bunny Ratch (an original cartoon by Walt Disney illustrating the nickname shares the place of honor in the dining hall with the portrait of a Saltonstall) is the capacious and well-stocked library, equipped with deep leather furniture that is conductive to relaxation if not to concentration.

The trapezoidal dining room with its glittering candlebra and bleak yellow walls doesn't supply as much inward contentment as what comes off the serving line. When all is said and done, Leverett probably stands first gastronomically among the five Houses connected with the mass-production line of the University kitchen.

Athletics take various forms with the Bunnies. On the more conventional side is participation in intramural contests, at which Leverett aggregations have done better than average this year. The Inter-House Trophy still rests on the dining hall mantel on the strength of last spring's record.

Less vigorous recreation is to be had at the frequent House dances which have included late afternoon "Candlelight" affairs. Even less strenuous, according to the men who know, are the elbow-bending motions required to consume the bear offered "on the House" at periodic smokers.

Tutors In Discussions

Among the tutors and associates who, among other things, have helped foster regular. House academic discussions in various fields are Professors Howard Mumford Jones and Perry Miller of the English Department, Professor Benjamin F. Wright, chairman of the General Education program, William E. Hocking '01, Alford Professor of Philosophy, Thomas R. Powell, Story Professor of Law, and Charles S. Burwell, Dean of the Medical School.