Students Reflect U. S. 'Melting Pot'; 57 Foreign Nations Are Represented

Harvard's consistently worldwide geographical distribution was clearly shown by figures released yesterday at the Foreign Students Office. Captain Henry J. Keppler, director of the office, revealed that a total of 539 students from outside the United States are registered in all departments of the University this term.

This figure shows a marked increase over last term, when only 491 aliens were registered. The breakdown of countries from which these men come reveals that there are 57 nations represented, the same total as last term, although there have been several shifts since January.

Foreign students are strongest in the Graduate Schools, where more than one-third of the total is enrolled. After this 159-man group comes the College proper with 91, the School of Engineering with 47, the Business School with 38, and the School of Public Health, fourth with 34.

Largest foreign contingent comes from Canada, where a registration of 127 men is reported. China's 77 representatives rank second, with a 38-man Indian group placing third. These three countries were on top in the fall, and Canada in addition showed the largest increase this term, with 13 more men registering for the new term.

Territorial figures give Europe, which failed to place high in individual ratings, a margin over other continents. Its total of 163 representatives leads Latin America and the Far East, although an all-Americas grouping, with the big Canadian bloc added in, totals 212 students.

Scholarships figures run high for these students, for out of the 539 more than 80 are supported by the University, 292 are maintained by private means, while the rest are assisted by either the United States Government, their own countries, or by funds from other colleges.