German Coal Controversy Divides Russia and France from Britain; Republicans Consider Tax Slashes

France Firm on Coal Issue

MOSCOW, March 20--France and Great Britain split tonight on the future disposition of Germany's coal resources in the first serious disagreement among the western powers at the Council of Foreign Ministers.

Foreign Minister Georges Bidault notified the Council that France could not consent to economic reconstitution of Germany unless the other powers agreed to her demands for guarantees of German coal.

British Foreign Secretary Ernest Bevin replied curtly that he could not accept a proposal where one power blocked all negotiations until it gets its way on one point.

Meanwhile, Secretary of State George C. Marshall served notice that he would request that the Four-Power Council summon the Austrian Government to Moscow for consultation on the peace treaty for Austria.

The adamant French stand, confronting the Council with a virtual take-it-or-leave-it ultimatum, created what appears to be the worse split yet developed here among the western powers.