Experts Support Truman Doctrine Of Aid to Greece

President Harry Truman's proposal of aid to Greece is "a new beginning in world politics," Hans Kohn, professor of History at Smith College told the United Nations Council Forum at Phillips Brooks House last night.

Professor Kohn called for vigorous support of the Truman doctrine by the American people, asserting that United States assistance in the Greek crisis is the only hope for world stability and the preservation of the United Nations.

Kohn Assails Communism

The forum also heard Ernest Riggs, president of Anatolia College at Thessaloniki, Greece, and Sterling Dow '25, professor of Greek and History, join in the plea for swift application of the Truman doctrine.

"Fear is the fundamental fact about Greece today," President Riggs declared. Without American aid the fate of the Greeks "looks like chaos," he emphasized, pointing out that his nation has asked not only for funds but for administrative help as well.

U.N. Is No Solution

Professor Dow, who worked with Greek Intelligence during the war, criticized arguments that the entire Balkan issue be turned over to the United Nations. Saddled with a problem too great for it to handle, that organization might be destroyed while still in its infancy. He cited recent Soviet use of the veto in the Albanian case as proof of U.N. weakness. Predicting that the death of Premier Stalin might result in the rise to power of a "Hitler-like" Russian, Professor Dow opined that unlike pre-war Germany, the Soviet Union is unable to wage an effective aggressive war.