One-Armed Boxer Wins 155 Pound Title Match by TKO

Bath, Morgan, Watkins, Lyne Brothers, Gill Capture Other Crowns in Ring Tournament

By Alexander C. Hozgland jr.

With one flailing, devastating arm, a plucky Adams House boy named Tommy Bodgett clubbed his way to the University 155-pound class boxing throne last night with a T.K.O. over Somerby Dowat of Lowell House in one minute and 40 seconds of the second round of a three-stanza championship bout in the Indoor Athletic Building.

Tied up during the first two rounds by cagey Dowat, who tried to block effectively his opponent's battering right glove and to score hard with his own right, Rodgers burst into his usual whirlwind, if unorthodox, style in the beginning of the second cante.

Shooting his club-like fist unerringly, he downed Dowat early in the second for nine, and boring in inexorably, sent his game but bewildered adversary to the canvas with a streaming nose for another nine-count. Referee Tommy Rawson halted the bout.

Officials yesterday placed mythical crowns on the heads of six other novice leather-wielders. The parade started at 4:30 o'clock when Austin Lyne of Chestnut Hill rallied in the third round to take a decision from Adams House's 145-pound Jerome Franklin, and Lyne's brother, Eugene, cooly and skillfully outboxed stocky Jim Hornig in the decisive third of the 175-pound final to cop the championship.

Yardling Hugh Smith and crewman Temple Morgan topped the evening's card, and, in an excellent boxing exhibition, Morgan outpointed the Carolinian to annex the 165-pound crown. Wigglesworth's 135-pound Russ Bath and John Dwyer of Thayer raced through three fast rounds, with wily, polished-looking Bath taking the honors.

In the unlimited class, mammoth Dave Gill mauled shorter, spirited Johnny Watkins for six minutes, but the latter's sharper, stinging punches won him the decision. Al Petite took 125-pound laurels on default from Phil O'Keefe.