Poll Finds Veteran Expenses Well Above Government Pay

Answers of 321 Undergraduates To Student Council Queries Disclose $46 to $64 Deficits

Basic living costs for veterans at the University average from $46 to $64 above government allotments according to a preliminary poll report released last night by Student Council President Richard G. Axt '46.

Conducted under the guidance of the Psychology Department, the poll was taken by the random-sample system. A total of 203 single undergraduates, 43 single graduate students, 48 married men without children, and 27 students with larger families were queried.

Poll results demonstrated that expenditures for room, board, laundry, clothing, and medical expenses, over and above those covered by the University Infirmary fee, amounted to $101 a month for single veterans, $139 a month for married men, and $159 a month for veterans with children.

Only Basic Expenses Listed

These figures did not include sums alloted to travel, recreation, house furnishings, insurance, and incidental outlays.

Promising a more complete survey of veteran expenditures later in the term, Robert D. Cross '45, Chairman of the Student Finance Committee, said last night that this preliminary report was issued early because of "intense interest in the problem of veterans' subsistence payments and costs-of-living at tins time."

Cross emphasized that only minimum living expenses were included in the poll averages, and noted the fact that other items naturally varied from person to person. The survey, he said, was designed to reach a representative cross-section of the student body.